All the programs at Northwest passage have easy access to psychiatric medication management services, and the frequency of visits is catered to the individual needs of the person. Our talented staff of neuropsychologists and therapists are well versed in the psychiatric treatment of complex clinical cases, including individuals with multiple psychiatric diagnoses (including but not limited to ADHD, pediatric bipolar disorder, childhood-onset schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, depressive disorders, personality disorder traits, autistic disorder, tic disorders, etc.). We firmly believe in the following principles when meeting with any of the youth at Northwest Passage:
- Have all appropriate and reasonable non-pharmacological measures already been tried?
- First do-no-harm (non-maleficence), and if possible, do as much benefit as possible (beneficence) with the lowest dose possible and for the shortest duration possible.
- Is the medication doing what it’s supposed to be doing? If not, then why is it still being used?
- No medication changes are made without clinical collaboration with other members of the treatment team.
- No medication changes are made without the consent of the guardians. Guardians have the right to be kept informed regularly regarding the course of medications.
- The youth’s sense of autonomy and dignity is kept high on the priority list as medication recommendations are discussed.
At Northwest Passage, we focus on evaluating overall health and providing care or seeking referrals for effective medical treatment when needed. Our full-time medical staff, including a pediatrician and a family nurse practitioner, are available to each program to assess and address all medical needs.
CHEMICAL HEALTH TREATMENT (SMART)
Northwest Passage works with clients in need of chemical health assessments and therapy, both on an individual and group level.
Aftercare is integrated into our case management practices. Each client’s case management needs are addressed as needed by the individual.
Post-treatment case management may include services such as:
- Working with parents and community-based professionals to identify, connect with, and help clients access community resources to meet identified aftercare needs.
- Meeting with school officials and personnel in the community to ensure a smooth transition and positive reintegration into public school.
- Assisting older clients in formulating future plans such as employment, college, vocational programming, or the military.
- Meeting with families and other aftercare resources for counseling, problem-solving, or other issues.
Northwest Passage is able to provide extensive transportation services for our residents for such things as admissions, family visits, medical appointments, transitional therapy appointments, court appearances, etc.
Clients meet one-on-one with an experienced clinician, as defined by their individual treatment plan. Together, they will work towards understanding their feelings and emotions in a safe environment.
Groups involving anger management and peer relationships provide consistent opportunities for our clients to gain skills in these areas. In addition, we help our clients focus on an array of healthy daily living choices through healthy living group topics such as nutrition, exercise, relationships and sex education as well as providing chemical health groups and group programming aimed at daily living skills and resilience.
Northwest Passage values the engagement of caregivers in the treatment process so that they can better offer support and gain an in-depth understanding of therapeutic progression and growth. We recognize that mental health issues are complex and sometimes confusing. At Northwest Passage, we help clients and their caregivers understand what they are facing. We recognize that the most vital part of a child’s treatment plan is the child themself and that the strength clients get from knowing what needs changing is often the strength that helps them take the first steps toward change.
EQUINE ASSISTED THERAPY
Northwest Passage utilizes the EAGALA method of equine-assisted therapy and has an EAGALA-certified therapist on staff to work with all residential programs.