DON’T LET ANYONE EVER DULL YOUR SPARKLE
Article courtesy of mental health clinician, Lisa B. Courchaine, LCSW
Hello fellow human! Today is the first day of the rest of your life. You know what else? February is national boost your self-esteem month. I know, it was news to me too!
I am a fan of quotes and also a fan of bullet points. So in honor of “national boost your self-esteem month,” here are some tips and things to keep in mind. I encourage you to be your own best friend and to enjoy the process of getting to know, accept and dare I say, love yourself….unconditionally.
Positive and Healthy Self-Talk:
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent” -Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better” -Maya Angelou
- There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
- Don’t let anyone ever dull your sparkle.
- Where attention goes – energy flows.
- Your mind is like a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
Surround yourself with those who accept and encourage you:
- “Watch carefully the magic that occurs when you give a person enough comfort to just be themselves.” -Atticus
- Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you.
- “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” -Dr. Seuss
- “Surround yourself with the dreamers and doers, the believers and thinkers, but most of all, surround yourself with those who see greatness within you, even when you don’t see it yourself.” -Edmund Lee
Stop comparing yourself to others:
- Others’ success is not your failure.
- Don’t compare your Chapter 1 to someone else’s Chapter 20.
- Your value does not decrease based on someone’s inability to see your worth.
Live according to your values:
- Make a list of your top 5 values in life. Explore ways you are living in alignment with your values and ways you could improve. Make a plan and notice how it feels to live in alignment with your values.
- “Practice your values rather than professing them.”-Brene Brown
- “The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you really are.” -Carl Jung
- Do the right thing when no one is looking.
- “Don’t share things that aren’t yours to share-it erodes trust and confidence.” -Brene Brown
Be mindful of your past successes and accomplishments:
- List those times when you really, really, really wanted to give up, and didn’t.
- List those times when you were scared and self-conscious and showed up anyway.
- Find the meaning or wisdom gained through life’s challenges.
- Acknowledge and celebrate goals you have met, no matter how small, progress is progress people!